Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Books I've been reading lately...


This post should actually be called "books I've been choking down in the last month." In attempt to soften the blow of post-college reality, I've been immersing myself in all types of fiction. Just so I can keep note of what I read, I felt like it'd be good to list the books here. Maybe I should keep track of my movies as well. Anyhow, my favorite book so far, obviously, is Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
  1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I loved this book. I read it with such fervor and it took me longer than usual to detangle myself from the clutches of the book's world post-read. To me, that signifies effective writing. This book intrigued me so much, I have decided to purchase the entire series, but, as the 3rd book does not come out until August, I've been holding off on beginning the second book in order to space out the novels a bit. I could write lengths more about this book and the ideas it presents and the joy of its characters, but, for the sake of brevity, I will restrain myself.
  2. Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom - I did not expect to enjoy this book very much. I generally enjoy Mitch Albom's books, but I figured this one would be very similar to his previous ones, with an added aggravating religious message. This did not turn out to be entirely true. It was not irritatingly religious. And, while it helped me remember to prioritize certain things in life, it was also not radical in its messages. It was a mild read, though, as I am incredibly sensitive, I did find certain parts touching.
  3. Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - This book was a wild disappointment, as I usually enjoy Dan Brown's books. The characters and plot were entirely unconvincing. While it brought new issues concerning the government to light for me, its overall execution was greatly lacking.
  4. The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon - I was really interested in this book and, while it was well-written and enthralling, I guess it didn't quite strike the perfection chord with me. Not that I should be comparing books with similar subject matter, but in terms of portraying autism in a riveting plot, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night was far more successful. Though, I'm sure Ms. Moon was aiming for thoughtful, rather than riveting.
  5. Trouble by Gary Schmidt - This surprised me with how well-written it was. The characters, in some aspects, could have been placed into even more complicated theories and situations, but, as this is a teen novel, their problems were somewhat simplified. Regardless, I enjoyed this book and found that it addressed rather pressing race issues in a satisfyingly, non-cheesy manner.
  6. Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix - I literally just finished reading this book about a half hour ago. It has an incredibly consuming plot. I shirked several duties tonight in my need to find out what would happen next in the book. The same sense of mystery and suspense that kept me reading, however, wavered a bit near the end. I enjoyed reading this book, but it did not offer as much food for thought or character development as Hunger Games did. Regardless, I will probably read the next installments in the series, as it supposedly concerns historical fiction, and I love historical fiction! Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment