Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Beloved by Toni Morrison

I just finished reading this, but it's so late I don't think I'll be able to write properly about it. I will write in the morning!

Let's see... it is far past the morning. It's much later. Let me see what I recall about reading this... I know that I definitely enjoyed the complexity in the writing of this book. I loved the many ideas presented, and they definitely gave me something new to think about. It was incredibly well-written and does what the book itself does - digs into the past and confronts it so that the past does not remain hovering, haunting over you. I appreciated this book, but it did not move me as viscerally as I like my favorite books to. I know, you must think I only enjoy the commercially appealing books that include cheap thrills or emotion, but I don't think that's true. I think incredible, well-written books can be complex with ideas and well-crafted in a way that fully envelope you into the story and grab you into it. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books. Perhaps if I shared the history that this book speaks of, it would have moved me further.

No comments:

Post a Comment