Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Porridge!


If I had time to cook, or eat, really, I would love to make this. I'd be nice to make this for my parents as well.

Recipe from the Kitchn.

Serves 2
1 cup oat bran (oat bran is my preference, but you can also use a 7 or 10-grain cereal)
2 cups water
1 generous cup berries (fresh or frozen) or sliced, very ripe, bananas
pinch of salt
1 to 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Toppings:
• nuts (try sliced almonds with the berries and toasted pecans or walnuts with the bananas)
• heavy cream
• flax seeds
• brown sugar (or try honey or maple syrup)
• fresh fruit
• sea salt (a sprinkle on top really pushes this over the edge!)

In a medium pot over medium-high heat bring water, pinch of salt, and half of fruit to a boil. Add the oat bran and honey and stir regularly until cereal is cooked, about 2-3 minutes for oat bran- longer for 10-grain. Serve hot, topped with suggested toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment