Thursday, May 6, 2010

Meet the Austins

Madeleine L'Engle writes beautifully. This book was different from the Wrinkle in Time series - less suspenseful, more... thoughtful. I was surprised to find that this book is the first in a series and am definitely leaning towards reading those as well. I love the way L'Engle writes - this book is for children, but she doesn't write in a way that reminds me of that fact at all. And it's somehow never predictable, or uninteresting, though some might find this particular book to be somewhat slow in parts. There were a lot of good, deep parts to this book. There were things to ponder and quotes to mull over. There were wonderful nuances to the characters. Nothing was black and white. I know I can only hope to be as fantastic as the mother in this book is in the future. I didn't LOVE this book - and by that I mean that it didn't instantly connect with my soul, but I definitely admired, respected and enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment