Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Graceling


By Kristen Cashore. A good, almost great read. More later (I hope, though I know I'm behind on writing about my reading!)...

It is later. Let me see if I remember properly... I know that I loved the fantasy world created in this book - the notion of certain people being very skilled, with 2 different colored eyes (Gracelings) is a very nice one to imagine. I enjoyed the relationship the 2 main characters had with each other - it wasn't sickening, at least. I even enjoyed the plot, for the most part. In the end, I think what's lacking is more complexity in the thoughts approached in this book, as well as a general lack of more masterful writing. I wasn't entirely shocked when I should have been shocked and I wasn't entirely sad, when I should have been sad. It's not that the writing was inadequate, it's more that, while I was transported to the world she wrote of, I wasn't entirely wrapped within in, which leaves me to conclude that the book was good, and almost great, but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment