Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Book Thief

By Markus Zusak. It was amazing. More later (I hope). Trust me, though. Amazing.

Ok. It is later. Let me see if I can still properly describe why I loved this book. It's about Germany in World War II. I think that's a topic I've definitely read tons about, but the best thing about this book, was that its approach was completely different. It's narrated from death's point of view. And I think largely because of this, I never found it cliche or sad for the sake of being sad. The language used in this book was delightful - slightly different and interesting, but not difficult to understand and maybe it's because I've taken so many years of German language courses, but I enjoyed the phrases of German that were thrown in. It also is written in a slightly detached tone, as it's death explaining and not the main character, but it hardly lacks in detail, character development or emotion. It brings a whole new vision to a subject that is very often written about. It transported me entirely. It also has a great female heroine and a strong message in support of literature, which means I automatically like that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment